Domaine Denis Mortet is located in the village of Gevrey-Chambertin in the Côte de Nuits, Burgundy. The estate was founded in 1956 when Charles Mortet bought 1 hectare of vines and started selling his grapes to merchants. Charles Mortet's son, Denis, and his wife Laurence, started working on the estate in 1978. In the early 1990s, Denis took over and created Domaine Denis Mortet. When the estate was founded, Mortet owned 4.5 hectares of vines in the communes of Gevrey-Chambertin, Chambolle-Musigny and Vougeot and quickly decided to expand. He bought 4 hectares including Premier Cru Lavaux-Saint-Jacques plots in Gevrey-Chambertin as well as village plots located in En Motrot, Au Vellé, En Champs and La Côte des Longeroies in Marsannay. The estate continued to expand to reached 11.2 hectares, on which the family operates around 100 plots. Denis Mortet eliminated chemical fertilizers and weedkillers in 1996 and today, all the grapes are harvested by hand and the entire vineyard is cultivated with respect for the soil and its ecosystem without certification. In 2006, Arnaud Mortet took over after the death of his father. Since 2013, Clémence has joined her brother and her mother. In 2016, Clémence and Arnaud founded a new estate and grew from 12 to 16 hectares.