Fontanafredda is located in Serralunga d'Alba, in Piedmont , Italy . The estate was purchased in 1858 by King Vittorio Emanuele II, and the first Barolo vineyard was acquired in 1866. The first vinifications began in 1870. In 1878, Count Emanuele Alberto created the winery and then owned 300 hectares of vines. Fontanafredda was the first European producer to use cement vats for the production of its wines. After the death of Emanuele Alberto and the Phylloxera crisis, the estate was sold to Monte dei Paschi di Sienna, a Tuscan bank. The estate developed its qualitative image under the impetus of Cavalier Bressano from 1955. The production of Barolo La Rosa, the first certified vintage of the Barolo region, began from 1964. The arrival of the new millennium also brought a revolution in the technical team that reinterpreted the production philosophy and gave a more lasting and quality imprint. The big change came in 2008, when Oscar Farinetti and his associates bought the estate. The marriage between innovation, with the change of packaging to “rejuvenate” the brand and the maintenance of historicity with the old vintages of Barolo has resulted in 3 simple concepts: quality, durability and authenticity .