Tobermory Distillery is located on the Isle of Mull, off the West coast of Scotland. It was established in 1798, and remains The Isle of Mull’s only whisky distillery and one of the oldest commercial distilleries in Scotland. In 1797, John Sinclair, a local kelp merchant, applied for a lease of 57 acres of land on the area known as Ledaig in order to build housing and a distillery. However, the application was rejected and he was only granted permission to build a brewery. Not one to give up easily, he remained true to his original plan and a year later, Ledaig Distillery was established. In the 1930s, the Great Depression and a decade of prohibition in the USA saw demand for whisky plummet, causing the distillery to stop operating for 41 long years. It reopened in 1993 after being purchased by Burn Stewart Distillers. Since 2013, the distillery is owned by Distell. The distillery produces the Tobermory Gin and two distinct Single Malts: a non-peated Tobermory and a heavily-peated Ledaig. The two malts are produced using the same stills, wash backs, mash tuns and the same process water but the two are totally different in character due to the malted barley used.